Family

About Pic-A-Lilli Inn

It all began back in the early 1920's, when Thomas Snyder, a chemist at The Evans Soap Co. in Camden, lived outside in a tent while erecting this building. He was a man of character, also known back then as the Justice of the Peace. What we now know as Route 206, was a dirt road formerly State Highway 39, which is where Snyder's Luncheonette opened in 1927. Snyder moved out of the tent and into one of the six rooms upstairs, while he rented out the other five. He not only used the upstairs as a hotel, but as a place to hold court meetings. Once the luncheonette business picked up, Snyder needed help operating the business. He sent word to Arkansas that he would need his only daughter Lillian, her husband Pickett Russell, Sr., and their two sons, Tom & Pickett, Jr. to join him here in New Jersey. The family joined together to sell ice cream, sandwiches, and soda pop.

This took place in what is now our main dining room. In 1933, after Prohibition, Pickett Russell, Sr. decided to add our barroom and acquired the first liquor license in Shamong Township. The luncheonette was renamed, Snyder's Tavern. In 1937, Snyder passed away, leaving the business to his daughter Lillian. To show new ownership, Pickett, Sr. and Lillian felt a new name was needed. While doing her normal duties, employee Alma Hall, came across a jar of Pic-A-Lilli relish. It was her recommendation, and all agreed it was a great idea, since it included both of their names! Hence, the Pic-A-Lilli Inn.

Exterior

During the 1940's

Pickett, Sr. was an avid rodeo enthusiast and various riders would stop in for a little R&R. Gene Autry, a famous rider, movie star, and personal friend of Pickett's, would often visit. A picture of the two can be found hanging behind the bar. Another famous patron of the time was Will Rogers, who had stopped in specifically to see his own resemblance to Pickett, Sr. About this time, Pickett, Jr., began courting Florence Hall, daughter of employee Alma Hall. Eventually Pickett, Jr., 16, married Florence, 17, and they immediately began their family of six children. Their children are Pickett III (Butch), Lillian Alma (Bonnie) Wallace, Bruce, Donald, and John Henry (Buddy, now deceased). In 1953, Pickett, Sr. passed away and his last wishes were to hold his funeral right here at the Pic-A-Lilli.

Interior

Early 1990's

But the legend continues in the early 1990's, Bruce and his wife Sandy opened Russell's Pic II on the White Horse Pike in Ancora, and the Pic-A-Lilli Pub opened on Tennessee Avenue & the boardwalk in Atlantic City. Donnie and his wife, Barbara, opened Pic-A-Lilli Wings & Things and Pic-A-Deli on Jackson Road, in Medford. When Pickett, Jr. passed on, he left The Original Pic-A-Lilli Inn to his remaining five children. Our family is now in its fifth generation, and the business continues to grow. Thanks to that original liquor license, still in use, the good-time barroom and cozy dining room allows for all the locals, and those friends just passing through, to enjoy our delicious food. Remember this building was not only a hotel, courtroom, hospital room, wedding hall, funeral parlor, but also a great place to meet up with your own family and friends. We do our best to cater to all occasions, feel free to inquire about your next event! Enjoy the almost-world-famous Buffalo Wings & Crab Soup, for the Pic-A-Lilli Inn history continues!